Consulting Case Studies
Transforming Front End Sales with Best-Practice Category Management and Merchandising Services
Through a 10+ year partnership with MPG, a leading drug wholesaler transforms its front end program with a turn-key services solution that includes category management, planogram development, and zone pricing strategy.
A leading global pharmaceutical sourcing and services company had achieved years of strong growth with its core business, yet remained significantly underdeveloped in its “front end” / HBC offerings. Recognizing the growth and profit potential, and the concurrent opportunity to better build loyalty among its independent pharmacy customers, the company sought to develop a new path forward for its consumer products division, with a fully integrated solution that provides the resources and expertise to help the company – and its customers – realize their full potential.
Starting with an initial engagement to redesign its processes and organization with best-practice category management and merchandising principles, MPG was then retained – and fully integrated with the company’s internal team – to provide turn-key services on an ongoing basis. The scope of the engagement has continued to expand and now includes comprehensive category management, planogramming, and pricing services for over 30 categories as well as disease management and seasonal programs. Specifically, this has included:
- Leveraging the expertise of MPG Retail Advisors to redesign the category management processes with best-in-class principles
- Defining the new category and promotional strategies
- Driving the implementation of the new process with a seasoned team of category managers, merchants, planogrammers, and analysts
- Continuously improving process and procedures, and providing training to the internal team, as well as continuing education to pharmacy customers
- Enhancing the private label strategy to deliver greater profitability
As a result of this long-term engagement, the company has realized significant growth across its HBC categories, as well as within their account participation and satisfaction rates. MPG’s support has enabled the company to significantly upgrade its capabilities and program offerings in a highly efficient, turn-key manner.